Monday, December 23, 2013

Fitting the Pieces Together: A Look Back at My Initial Learning Theory Analysis

     How often do you look back and reflect upon something you have been learning? I tend to be a learner who is constantly reevaluating information that I am learning as well as one that works consistently toward figuring out how the new information applies in my current situation and possible future circumstances. When I cannot find an application for new information within my current situation, I often file interesting information away for future reference. While working in my current class for learning theories and instruction, I was asked in the first week to evaluate my personal learning process as well as evaluate how that process was relevant within the first three learning theories studied within this course.

     At the time, I believed that my personal learning process was most aligned with the cognitive learning theory. In my analysis of my personal learning process, I recognized the elements of learning where I said, "I tend to learn  best when a concept is organized in a way that makes sense and stores within my memory with other areas of learning so that it is easier to recall the information later as needed" (para. 3). I was also still sorting through the differences and meanings in the terms of learning styles versus learning theories. In that first discussion post, my understanding centered more around ideas of visual versus auditory learning and how these two areas affected my learning style. I was still learning that a learning theory has a specific definition, which can be found in the summary provided by Ormrod, Schunk, & Gredler (2009) in three parts as:

     1. Purpose: Identify real-world events required for learning 2. Criteria for propositions: Must be testable
     through research; independent of any definition of knowledge, and 3. Nature of statements about learning:
     Specific principles of learning and identification of events that support learning. (p. 7)

I have since learned that my personal learning style and understanding of how learning theories apply to my own learning process is more complex than what the cognitive theory explains.

     Although the cognitive theory was a starting point for my understanding of my own learning process, I have since been able to recognize how other learning theories apply to my learning process. I am now able to recognize the influence of the constructivist learning theory within my learning process because as Ertmer & Newby (1993) describe, "Constructivism is a theory that equates learning with creating meaning from experience" (p. 62). I now recognize how even when I am building upon prior learning experiences, I am creating new meaning from what I am learning. Constructivism has direct application in the description of the expectations from my current course of studies. Each week, I must read through material, determine how it applies to the learning goals of the week, and create meaning from the text in order to interact within the weekly discussion board assignments as well as other projects.

     In addition to constructivism, I recognize the influence of adult learning theory due to the motivational aspects of my learning process as well as the autonomous nature of this learning environment. While I had a basic understanding of adult learning theory from my own work instructing adults, the coursework allowed me to find aspects of adult learning theory that I had not yet explored. I was able to revisit my prior understanding of Gardner's theories of multiple intelligence and clarify that the areas of multiple intelligence are not the same as a learning style. In 2003, Gardner addressed the differences by saying, "By the middle of the 1990s, I had noticed a number of misinterpretations of the theory--for example, the confusion of intelligences with learning styles and the confounding of a human intelligence with a societal domain" (p. 8). I learned from the study what Gardner intended in his definition of multiple intelligences and how these applied to my own learning process and strengths. I am utilizing connections within different networks and branching out into different areas to expand those networks in learning. Each week, I interact with my peers in a discussion board that encourages the social learning process. I have learned even more how much mental state can influence my learning process, just as Cherry (n.d.) related when describing Bandura's theory of social learning, "Bandura noted that external, environmental reinforcement was not the only factor to influence learning and behavior. He described intrinsic reinforcement as a form of internal reward, such as pride, satisfaction, and a sense of accomplishment" (para. 7).

     In addition to the various learning theories, I am exploring new ways to utilize technology within my learning process. In addition to the frequent internet searches for information related to classroom topics found within educational articles, I find myself interacting more frequently within the blog world online. My understanding of how different blogs contribute in my ability to learn new information as well as expand my connections has increased tremendously throughout this course. I am researching new programs available that help organize information I learn and create a system that makes the information easier to access on a regular basis as a part of my learning process.

     Overall, I have learned a lot since the first week of this course, and the experience has been more than I had anticipated. I believe that I will continue to learn more about how I learn as seen through the context of the different learning theories and that by understanding these elements, I will be able to better apply the principles of sound instructional design.

Resources


Cherry, K. (n.d). Social learning theory: An overview of Bandura's social learning
     theory. Retrieved from http://psychology.about.com/od/developmentalpsychology/
     a/sociallearning.htm

Ertmer, P.A., & Newby, T.J. (1993). Behaviorism, cognitivism, constructivism: Comparing
     critical features from an instructional design perspective. Performance Improvement
     Quarterly, 6(4), 50-71.

 Gardner, H. (2003, April 21). Multiple intelligences after 20 years. Paper presented to
       the American Educational Research Association, Chicago, IL. Retrieved from 
       http://howardgardner01.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/mi-after-twenty-years2.pdf

Ormrod, J., Schunk, D., & Gredler, M. (2009). Learning theories and instruction. New
       York: Pearson.

No comments:

Post a Comment